Several contests and awards are geared specifically to Jewish children’s literature.
- The Whole Megillah Jewish Children’s Picture Book Manuscript Contest–The Whole Megillah is offering a contest for Jewish-themed picture book manuscripts! Kar-Ben publisher Joni Sussman will be judging. And the first place prize? A Kindle! Send the entire manuscript of your Jewish-themed picture book to The Whole Megillah at barbarakrasner at yahoo dot com. Include The Whole Megillah on your blogroll if you have a blog. Share the news about the contest on Facebook and Twitter (#TWMblog). Send proof of inclusion in your blogroll and your Facebook and Twitter messages to The Whole Megillah along with your submission. Deadline:September 1, 2011. The first and second-place winners will be announced on or about September 15.
- The Whole Megillah YA Novel Contest–submit 250 words of your Jewish-themed YA novel and be in the running to win a signed copy of Jenny Meyerhoff’s Queen of Secrets – and the winner was Tracy Porosoff. Learn more>>>
- Sydney Taylor Manuscript Award–submit your Jewish-themed middle grade novel by December 15 to this Association of Jewish Libraries competition. The prize is $1,000.
- Sydney Taylor Book Award–Categories for this award, sponsored by the Association of Jewish Libraries, include Younger Reader, Older Reader, and Teen Reader. Submissions are due by December 1.
- National Jewish Book Award–Includes two endowed awards for Jewish children’s literature: the Louis Posner Memorial award for the best illustrated children’s book of the year and an award in memory of author Dorothy Kripke for the best in Jewish family literature. Check the Jewish Book Council websitefor details and guidelines.