Three quick things:
- The late composition guru Donald Murray reminds me to think of the first draft as the discovery draft and the second draft as the developmental draft. For more, see his Write to Learn.
- My Yiddish studies are bringing me ever closer to my roots. I’ve been reading Beautiful as the Moon, Radiant as the Stars: Jewish Women in Yiddish Stories — An Anthology, edited by Sandra Bark.
- And in Yiddish, Leshone Toyve Tikoseyvu!
May you all enjoy a healthy, happy, and productive 5780!
Writing Chai is a new, eighteen-month program of prompts from The Whole Megillah. Each month (on the 18th) members of the Writing Chai community will receive a prompt and have access to a private Facebook page to post their writing, their questions, and their reflections. Members can respond to the prompts through fiction, nonfiction, poetry, or some hybrid. The most important factor is that we write. The first prompt becomes available on Wednesday, September 18, 2019.
Special Bonus! For eighteen days beginning December 18, 2019, members will receive a prompt a day.
Membership: The cost of membership for the entire program is $18, payable through PayPal to barbarakrasner(at)yahoo(dot)com–using Friends–or by check. Contact me privately at barbarakrasner(at)att(dot)net for the address. Please contact me either through email or comments to let me know of your interest in membership.
Why Prompts? As a certified facilitator and long-time practitioner of the Amherst Writers & Artists method, I’ve learned the importance of responding to prompts with fresh ideas. My writing, through prompts, tends to be more organic and surprising, in good ways.
We hope you seriously consider this offer to write and share. Join Writing Chai!
Three quick things:
- I’m dedicating Labor Day to send some poetry out into the world. I wanted to use part of the weekend to revise a novella, but given other commitments, that’s just not going to happen.
- My Yiddish class is giving me great insights into Yiddish culture, which I’m sure I’ll find useful in my creative writing.
- I’m presenting today at Mercer County Community College in New Jersey on “Incorporating the Holocaust into the English Classroom.” If anyone is interested in a copy of the presentation, please let me know.
Have a great holiday weekend. Happy writing!